At GG Media, we are proud to offer our clients a wide variety of digital and variable printing solutions. One of our most popular products among our clients is, without a doubt, postcards. With postcards being such a high demand product, we are often asked to quote for a “standard” postcard size. However, thanks to the capabilities of our presses and different sheet-sizes that we have available, we can print nearly any desired size—from 4.375” x 6.125” to 6.125” x 11.500”.
Postcards can be printed full color on front or both sides, come in variety of sizes and can be printed on all sorts of cover stock and paper weight. Best yet, with variable data printing personalized postcards can grab attention and get noticed. Despite so much room for flexibility for postcard designs, there are still a few guidelines that need to be followed for a piece to be considered a POSTCARD. Here are a few ‘pro-tips’ for printing and mailing postcards.
Pro Tip #1—Follow USPS Sizing Specifications
- The maximum height of a postcard CANNOT EXCEED 6.125”, and the maximum width CANNOT EXCEED 11.5”.
- If graphics will cover the entire postcard, make sure add 0.0125” bleed (this is required).
- The aspect ratio of your postcard must be at least 1:3.
- Make sure the piece is rectangular and not a square.
- The caliper (or paper thickness) of your postcard material must be between 0.007” and 0.016”
Pro Tip #2—Don’t Forget the Indicia
- Indicia are the markings that show your postage has been paid.
- Make sure to keep the indicia 0.0125” away from BOTH trim-edges (red lines indicate the trim-edges, or the edges of the final piece).
- Leave the indicia (pre-printed postage), address and IMb to us. All you need to do is keep these areas free of graphic elements when making the design.
Pro Tip #3—Prepare Files
- Always send the file in PDF format.
- While many printers have different requirements, we prefer 0.125” bleeds on all edges.
Pro Tip #4—Proofread Content
Please, please, please, proofread your postcards. Taking a few extra minutes to do this will in the end potentially save money and time.
Pro Tip #5—Feel Free to Ask Questions
We take pride in our expertise in printing services. Not only do we want your business, but we also want your business to grow because of a service or product we provide. Don’t hesitate to give us a call with questions: 630-235-6734